Saturday, March 19, 2011

Why Award-Winning Children's Lit?


Why write a blog about award-winning children’s literature? Because I love children’s books and there is so much that I, and maybe you, don’t know! Which is why I have been having the time of my life while studying library science (specifically, children’s librarianship).  For as long as I can remember I have known about the Caldecott and Newbery awards. I’ve certainly read a good number of the award-winners. But one night while reading for a class, I was astounded to discover that there are tons of awards for well-written children’s books. Awards that I had never heard about, for everything from African-American and International children’s literature to children’s audio books. So I’ve made a promise to myself: to discover not only these award-winning books but to understand the awards themselves: their history and rationale.  I am embarking on a journey to find out which materials for children are considered the cream of the crop and perhaps, find some hidden treasures that have never been properly honored.  Along the way I hope to gain a better understanding of trends in children’s books and learn a little bit about what makes a book award-worthy. I hope you’ll join me; I guarantee it’ll be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment